Friday, November 11, 2011

Water Festival, or as my assistant calls it, Water Westiwal.

Every year around this time, they have the Water Festival in Phnom Penh.  The Tonlee Sap River changes direction, it marks the end of the rainy season, and nearly a million people from the provinces come to the Big Smoke (city), to see the boat races, the concerts, and fireworks that mark the events of the Festival.  Last year's turned tragic, when nearly 300 people were trampled to death on a suspension bridge.  There were so many people on the bridge that it swayed, which in turned scared the everyone from the provinces, resulting in a stampede.  This year the majority of the events, including the boat races, were cancelled.  The Prime Minister decided the money was better spent as aid to all the people affected by the flooding.  Cambodia hasn't been hit nearly as hard as Thailand, but is also much poorer, so there is less aid for the poor farmers out in the provinces.  So thankfully, there are not nearly as many people in the city as there would be in any other year, but it is still noticeably more crowded.

Today I decided to visit Wat Lanka, the temple nearest to my apartment, then meet a friend for lunch at my favorite restaurant here so far, then we would both go and see what there was to see.
They are adding on to the current temple.

Fairly sure these are crypts...  either way, they are beautiful

My tour guide for the temple.  This cat followed me around meowing the whole time I was there

It;s good to know that even Buddha has time to read the paper and keep current.

The entrance to Wat Lanka

 Turns out, not a whole lot, but we did get a good show while we had lunch.  The restaurant is right by  Independence Monument, which commemorates Cambodia's independence from Vietnam.
Independence Monument

It is also right across from the Prime Minister's house, and his neighbor, the North Korean Embassy.  Coincidence? I think not...
In case you were wondering what Kim Jong Il was up to, they have a bulletin board, with all his "good" deeds....


The big one is the PM's house, the smaller one the North Korean Embassy.  I'm probably on some watch list now for taking this picture...

This stretch of road is also where a lot of the concerts and other events for the Water Festival are taking place.  They light up the trees and monument at night, they sweep for mines and bombs during the day!




They also closed the street, Sihanouk, which is one of the busiest, and put up metal detectors.  It was quite odd to leave the restaurant and not hear "Hey lady, tuk tuk" 20 times.  We walked around a bit, but didn't really see much, most of the events are at night.  

I am working on a few other posts for you.  I have one dedicated to the insane Christmas show the school is putting on, another on how crazy Asia is (it's like a whole other country or something!), and another on the work I am doing with the girls (I love it!!)  I know I have been lax about putting up pictures, but I will work on that, promise.  Other than that, I am enjoying my five day weekend, and working on getting all my lessons planned for the next few weeks. (next week is letters K and L.  Look at that, an entire week, done!  Gotta love kindergarten...)  I have been busy, but good.  Still love it here, but not gonna lie, I needed the little break from the kids, the school, and the stupid Christmas show.  Will post on that tomorrow, for sure!

So happy Water Westiwal to you and yours, also happy 11-11-11, and happy Veteran's Day!  Enjoy your weekend everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment